Forest feller is a profession that only a real man can master. This job requires remarkable physical strength and well-honed skills. And if the guys should not have special difficulties with the first, then what about the second? Where can I learn the basic skills for working with a saw? And how difficult is it to master them?
An excursion into history
To begin with, this is a very ancient work. Deforestation has always been vital for the survival of mankind. Wood was used for the construction of houses, fortifications, bridges, tools and much more. Therefore, the people always needed those who could provide them with such a valuable resource.
Naturally, in the old days tree felling was very different from what we used to see today. After all, then stone and then bronze axes were used as tools, which greatly impeded the work. Only half a century before the birth of Jesus Christ, the ancient Greeks forged the first iron saw.
A modern take on felling
Continuing the theme of history, let us say that the first chain saw appeared only at the beginning of the 20th century. It was invented by the famous German design engineer Andreas Stiel. According to the records, in 1926 he patented a new invention, and in 1929 he released his first working prototype. And since that time, the felling of trees has grown into something more than a simple wave of an ax.
Moreover, with the advent of the new millennium, this process has accelerated significantly. The introduction of new automated saws made it possible to harvest wood with unprecedented productivity. Not to mention the fact that loading and transportation of trees is now carried out exclusively using machines. Therefore, current lumberjacks should not only have excellent strength and endurance, but also be able to use all these complex mechanisms.
A quick overview of the profession of a lumberjack
Today, a forest feller is a real one professional in his field. He knows how to not only cut trees, but also competently plans the whole process of work. And this is very important, because in this case, any mistake can lead to irreparable consequences. In this regard, there is a whole set of rules and laws that govern the actions of this worker.
It also means that everyone who wants to get a job is required to undergo preliminary training. Upon its completion, the future lumberjack undergoes certification, which decides his future fate. It should be noted that employment without proper documents is unacceptable, and in case of emergencies such negligence is punished to the fullest extent of the law.
Where can I get a “crust” of a forest feller?
You need to understand: this is a very specific job. A feller of a forest is a person who knows all the intricacies of his work, is able to give an account of his actions and take care of others. Naturally, such skills will not appear on their own. But they can be taught by teachers and mentors in special preparatory courses. In this case, there are as many as two ways to get on them:
- Firstly, you can enroll in full-time training at a vocational school or technical school of forestry. Often there are separate courses dedicated to felling. If there are none, then forestry students will also learn how to handle a chainsaw. True, in this case, training will be delayed for a longer period, because you will have to master several professions at once.
- Secondly, preparatory courses are available at most forestries. So, having got a job here, the trainee goes through preliminary training. They teach him the basics of craftsmanship, talk about safety and give them a try in practice. As a result, after the internship, he passes the certification and receives a certified “crust” of the chainsaw.
How is the certification?
So, how are the specialist’s skills and work evaluated? The feller of the forest first of all passes the written exam. All questions are divided into three broad categories: the technical structure of chainsaws, methods of felling and safety regulations. At the same time, at the end of the exam, the commission has every right to ask a few more oral questions.
After passing the written part, you will need to show your practical skills. For example, a person may be asked to make a gash on a training deck or to calculate the trajectory of the fall of a particular tree.
Felling ranks of the forest
According to the new law, only workers with 6th qualification according to ECTS (Unified Tariff and Qualification Handbook) are allowed to felling trees. But at the same time, employees with a much smaller rank may be present at the felling. But their capabilities will be severely limited. In addition, it is on their shoulders that the preparation of the site, garbage collection, sawing of knots and waste disposal often lies.
Naturally, over time, the discharge can be increased. However, in the future, passing the exam for the 6th category the first time is much more profitable than working with a lower rank. Indeed, not only the prestige of the worker, but also his monthly salary depends on this.
Duties of the feller of the forest of the 6th category
The job description of a forest feller always contains a clear list of his duties. And although in some organizations this document has special subparagraphs, their essence often boils down to the following points.
- The feller is obligated cut down trees, shrubs and fine brushwood according to the standards established by the state. The same rule applies to logging, sorting and recycling of wood waste.
- One of the paramount tasks is to prepare the site for cutting down. At the same time, lumberjacks should do everything possible to ensure a good access for trawls, as well as to protect it.
- The feller of the forest should not only be able to handle all types of chainsaws, but also conduct their technical inspection on time. In this case, if a malfunction or wear of the parts is detected, he must immediately inform his mechanic about this.
- During operation, the lumberjack must observe everything that is happening around him, since not only he, but also other people, equipment, and equipment are on the site. Therefore, he is obliged to do everything possible to protect them.
- Workers of the logging team should always remember that only those trees that the forester noted can be cut. Any manifestation of arbitrariness will lead to penalties that will apply to the entire team of loggers.
Forest Feller Requirements
Working as a lumberjack implies the presence of brute physical strength. Without it, a person simply cannot cut trees, since the lightest chainsaw weighs at least 4.5 kg. At the same time, most forestries use much larger models, because they can increase labor productivity.
In addition, the applicant for the position of forest feller must be of legal age. And just before the employment itself, you will need to go through the standard medical board. And only after its approval can a person be approved for this position.
The main advantage is the high demand, justified by the complexity of the work. This is especially true for those regions of Russia where logging is well developed. It is also important that the relevance of this profession does not fade in the near future, since wood is one of the most important materials.
In addition, it should be noted that the fellers of the forest receive a pretty good salary. The average rate of their salaries in Russia ranges from 35-40 thousand rubles per month. If we talk about work in the North, then this figure increases by 1.5-2 times.
Disadvantages of the profession
First of all, you need to understand that this profession greatly exhausts human health. The constant vibration from chainsaws adversely affects the joints of the arms and shoulders. Not to mention what kind of load goes on the back and legs.
There is also always the risk that a forest feller will be injured at work. This may be an unsuccessfully bounced branch, a broken chain or a sharp branch that pierced a shoe. In addition, such cases are known when people died at the felling. In most cases, this is due to negligence, but sometimes a simple combination of circumstances is to blame.